There are 46 WoW Classic companion pets. In this WoW Classic pet guide, we include only in-game vanity pets. Unlike retail WoW, players have to keep these pets in bags. They take up a slot, there’s no separate pet inventory. They can’t fight and have various restrictions like faction lock or different obtaining methods.
A WoW Classic pet is called a companion. There are pets that are obtained from quests, pets that can be bought, crafted by a profession (particularly engineering), be a world or dungeon drop, or Classic pets available through world events.
Classic WoW companion pets will loyally follow you around while you are traveling by foot or mount, regardless of your speed. They’ll follow you anywhere, indoors or out, dangerous or otherwise, but they retreat to their cages when you hop a flight (even if the pet can fly).
There are no requirements for vanity pets: these companions do not require a particular level, yet a few quest pets will have you be at a certain level to complete the quest. Companions have a hidden amount of health and can be killed by swimming in lava, standing on fire, and other environmental means of damage.
You can have as many WoW Classic vanity pets as you like, yet only one active pet at a time. You don’t have to feed your companion, and you can’t name it. Pets can be traded and sold on the auction house.
We include only available directly by in-game means, no collectors edition pets or pets that are obtained through real money.
- Praire Dog Whistle (Halpa in Thunderbluff)
- Cockroach (Jeremiah Payson in Undercity)
- Crimson, Black, Brown Snake (Xan’tish in Orgrimmar)
- Cats: Bombay, Cornish Rex, Orange Tabby, Silver Tabby (Donni Anthania in Elwynn Forest)
- White Kitten (Lil Timmy in Stormwind)
- Great Horned Owl, Hawk Owl (Shylenai in Darnassus)
- Rabbit: Snowshoe (Yarlyn Amberstill in Dun Morogh)
- Ancona Chicken (Magus Tirth in Thousand Needles)
- Parrot: Cockatiel, Senegal (Narkk in Stranglethorn Vale)
- Frog: Tree Frog, Wood Frog (Flik during the Darkmoon Faire)
- A Jubling’s Tiny Home (Darkmoon Faire Quest – Spawn of Jubjub)
- Chicken Egg (Westfall quest – Farm Chicken Egg)
- Mechanical Chicken (An OOX of Your Own)
- Smolderweb Hatchling (Blackrock Spire quest – En-Ay-Es-Tee-Why)
- Worg Pup (Blackrock Spire quest – Kibler’s Exotic Pets)
- Sprite Darter Hatchling (Begins with Freedom for All Creatures, ends with Becoming a Parent) – Alliance only
Most of these pets are rare drops and sell well on AH. They also can be a nice bonus if you’re farming mobs for gold and have, for example, a Dark Whelpling drop.
- Black Tabby (Dalaran Spellscribe in Ambermill and Dalaran – Horde only)
- Siamese (Cookie in The Deadmines)
- Dark Whelpling (whelplings in Badlands and Dustwallow Marsh)
- Disgusting Oozeling (oozes in Felwood and Eastern Plaguelands)
- Green Wing Macaw (Defias Pirate in The Deadmines)
- Hyacinth Macaw (Bloodsail pirates in Stranglethorn Vale)
- Crimson Whelpling (whelplings in Badlands)
- Emerald Whelpling (Dreaming Whelps in Swamp of Sorrows)
- Spirit of Summer (Midsummer Fire Festival Quest – A Light in Dark Places)
- Feast of Winter Veil:
- Father Winter’s Helper
- Winter Reindeer
- Winter’s Little Helper
- Tiny Snowman
- Children’s Week quest – A Warden of the Horde\Alliance
- Mr. Wiggles
- Whiskers the Rat
- Peddlefeet (Love Is In The Air holiday)
- Lifelike Toad (skill 265)
- Lil’ Smoky (skill 205)
- Mechanical Squirrel (skill 105)
- Pet Bombling (skill 205)
- Tranquil Mechanical Yeti (skill 250)