Since the inception of the internet, people have been searching for ways to make their online experiences faster.
In the early days of the internet, content delivery networks (CDNs) were used to improve the speed of website loading times. However, as the demand for faster content delivery continues to grow, so does the need for a CDN.
CDNs are now being used by businesses to improve the speed and reliability of their web pages across different devices and networks.
The initial use of CDNs was to cache content that is often requested by users but not in the original location. For example, a video player might download a movie from its source server and cache it in a local cache, which could be accessed immediately without connecting to the remote server. Therefore providing faster access to that movie.
So, if you’re looking to improve website load times, you need a reliable CDN provider. In this article, I will go over the 5 best CDN providers in 2022. So, let’s get started with the list and speed up your website dramatically:
Why Do You Need CDN in 2022?
Due to the continued growth of online content, the global demand for CDN services is expected to increase in 2022. A report by MarketsandMarkets, the CDN market will grow from $8.17 billion in 2017 to $11.14 billion by 2022.
This growth is being driven by several factors, including the increasing amount of video content being consumed online, the rising popularity of cloud-based applications and services, and the growing number of connected devices.
CDN providers are well-placed to take advantage of this growth, as they can help organizations improve website performance, reduce latency, and ensure secure and reliable delivery of content.
3 Main Things to Consider When Buying a CDN Service
CDN providers are a dime a dozen. So, how do you decide which one is the best for your company? Here are some factors to consider when choosing a CDN provider:
- Pricing and features: Make sure you understand the pricing model and the features included in the plan. Some providers offer basic plans for free, while others have more advanced features that come at a higher price.
- Reliability: This is probably the most crucial factor when choosing a CDN provider. Make sure to read reviews and compare uptime percentages to ensure that the provider is reliable.
- Geography: The provider’s network should span multiple geographies to deliver your content quickly and reliably to users worldwide.
Ranking 5 Best CDNs
Cloudflare is a content delivery network (CDN) provider. It was founded in 2009 by Lee Holloway and Michelle Zatlyn. Cloudflare’s headquarters are in San Francisco, California. The company has over 7,000 employees as of 2019.
Cloudflare offers a suite of services: website security, performance optimization, internet routing, and domain name registration. Cloudflare’s customers include Airbnb, OkCupid, Mastercard, and Pfizer.
Cloudflare is a content delivery network that offers a suite of features to help improve the performance of your website. Some of the most popular features include:
- SSL/TLS: Cloudflare offers free SSL/TLS certificates to encrypt traffic between your website and visitors. This can help protect your data and improve your site’s security.
- DDoS Protection: Cloudflare’s DDoS protection helps protect your website from malicious attacks that could take it offline.
- Web Application Firewall (WAF): The WAF helps protect your website from common attacks and vulnerabilities.
- Caching: Cloudflare’s caching feature stores a copy of your website’s static files on its servers, which can speed up page load times for visitors.
- Cloudflare Speed: Cloudflare Speed is designed to help websites accelerate their performance. Cloudflare Speed is an extension of the free Cloudflare DNS service and allows users to optimize their web site’s performance by increasing the speed of DNS requests.
KeyCDN is a popular Content Delivery Network (CDN) provider that helps improve websites’ performance by caching content and delivering it from servers closer to the user. This can result in faster page load times, increased visitor engagement, and better conversions.
KeyCDN offers a simple and affordable pricing model with no contracts or commitments, making it an attractive option for businesses. They also offer a wide range of features, including global coverage, HTTP/2 support, origin shield, etc.
If you’re looking for one of the best CDNs out there, StackPath is one of my top choices on this list.
StackPath is a leading CDN provider that offers fast and reliable delivery of your website’s content. They have an extensive global network of servers that can handle any traffic load and help you deliver your content quickly and securely to your users.
StackPath is also one of the most affordable CDN providers out there.
StackPath provides several CDN features such as HTTP caching, SSL for secure connections, advanced server monitoring, and other valuable features. In addition, StackPath offers access to more than 60 edge locations worldwide.
Microsoft Azure CDN
With the ever-growing popularity of Microsoft Azure, it’s worth considering the Azure CDN.
The Azure CDN is a globally distributed network that delivers content from Microsoft Azure datacenters to users worldwide. It integrates with Azure Active Directory and supports both HTTP and HTTPS protocols. The Azure CDN also offers built-in caching, so you can store copies of your static files in multiple locations for faster delivery to users. The Azure CDN is an excellent option for businesses that want to take advantage of the global distribution network offered by Microsoft.
Azure CDN is a managed service that gives you the ability to:
- Manage your Azure CDN account locally and through an online portal.
- Create and manage multiple CDN domains, each with its settings.
- Set up and manage multiple distribution points (DPs) within your Azure CDN account.
- Create custom location tags for each domain, which can be used to improve page load times by routing users to the nearest network edge cache.
Akamai Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: AKAM) is a global cloud services provider with over 500 million customers. The company’s CDN delivers content and application performance across billions of devices located on the web, including smartphones, tablets, and PCs.
Akamai offers a variety of services, including Edge caching to improve website performance for consumers and businesses globally; VIP service that provides an acceleration platform for companies looking to reach global audiences quickly; and Cloud Hosting, which allows organizations to take full advantage of the power of the cloud by hosting their applications on Akamai’s massive infrastructure.
- Added support for HTTP/2 and Multi-CDN streaming through Akamai Edge Gateway™ technology. This means that users can better manage their congestion by streaming video and other high-bandwidth content through multiple Akamai CDNs in parallel.
- Enhanced performance for ActionScript 3 and Flash applications delivered over Akamai CDN with Cloudflare’s Fastly platform. The new capabilities allow developers to take advantage of Flash’s strengths, such as low latency and high throughput, while also reducing response times for web visitors.
- Improved HTML5 video delivery with the addition of new technologies and updates to existing ones.
In conclusion, CDNs are a great way to improve website performance and provide a better user experience.
While the top CDN providers will change over time, these are five of the best providers in 2022. If you are looking for a CDN provider, consider these five options.