Whenever you install WordPress on your website, this is one of the PLUGINS that comes preinstalled in it –
Akismet Anti-Spam plugin is used to block spammy comments coming to your website.
But is this the only plugin you can use?
No, definitely NOT!
And I’m not saying it isn’t effective to block spam comments.
If that was the case, you would be getting these types of comments right after installing the WordPress CMS.
The only place where this plugin lacks is in terms of features as the other 2 plugins in this post come packed with some advanced features.
Table Of Contents
I’ll start with the most popular anti-spam plugin – Akismet. It’s completely free for personal & nonprofits use.
And with every new WordPress blog you create, this plugin comes pre-installed in every one of them.
However, you would have to pay at least $8.33 per month if you want to use it for commercial purposes. Besides, by paying a monthly fee, you’ll also get these exclusive features –
- Spam Protection
- 10K API Calls/month
- One site
- Priority Support
NOTE: From free plan to paid plan, spam protection is available for everyone.
If you want to know about API calls in detail, then you can refer to their blog where they’ve clearly specified how can TEST your API CALLS.
With over 5 million active installs, Akismet is arguably the best Anti-spam plugin for a newbie blogger.
But if you’re a BIG fish in the Pond, I would recommend you to give other plugins a try as this one comes with limited features (For both free & paid users)
WordPress Zero Spam
WordPress ZeroSpam is the 2nd anti-spam plugin in this list. Unlike Akismet, Zero Spam doesn’t ask you to add an API KEY or CAPTCHA.
Install the plugin, activate it, and zero spam will begin the process of blocking spam comments automatically.
It’s a completely free app, with no strings attached. And these are the features it provides –
- Automatically & manually block IPs temporarily or permanently
- Automatically update the WP core disallowed list weekly using splorp’s Comment Blacklist for WordPress
- Block entire countries, regions, zip/postal codes & cities
- Geolocate IP addresses to see where offenders are coming from
- Multiple detection techniques including David Walsh’s solution for stopping WordPress spam.
- No moderation queues, spam isn’t a administrators’ problem
- Third-party blacklist checks (Zero Spam, Stop Forum Spam)
Not only this, the plugin protects your website from –
- Contact Form 7 submissions
- WPForms submissions
- WordPress core comments & user registrations
- WooCommerce registration forms
- Formidable Form Builder submissions.
And the best thing is, it’s compatible to integrate with every theme & plugins available on WordPress.org.
Antispam Bee WordPress Plugin
Many bloggers consider this as an alternative to the Anti-Spam WordPress plugin Akismet.
But how can you compare a completely free plugin with the one that asks you to pay a monthly subscription fee?
I get it, you don’t have one. I was expecting this. Now, if you really want to compare the two plugins, compare these features with Akismet’s free WordPress plugin & let me know which one you like more.
- Allow comments from a certain IP Address.
- Allow or Block comments originated from certain IPs or countries.
- Blocks spammy BBCode links by default.
- Comes with the in-built database of previous spammy commenters.
- Its dashboard shows spam statistics on the dashboard.
- Let’s you automate the spam comments after the ‘N’ number of days.
- Let’s you spam-check comment forms on archive pages.
- Optionally exclude trackbacks and pingbacks from spam detection.
- Probably, your site might be getting comments in Russian, Chinese with spammy language. These comments can further lead to an attack on your site. And antispam bee can block commenting on a particular language. In the meanwhile, do check out these security tips to save your website from cyberattacks.
- Sends an email when there’s a spam comment coming to your site.
- Set the comments to show up at a particular time.
- Trust approved commenters.
- Sets a limit to comments/pings.
- Trust commenters with a Gravatar.
When installed, Anti-Spam Bee doesn’t ask you for any registration details. Instead, it’s free to use for both Personal & commercial use.
Anti-Spam Bee is GDPR compliant WordPress plugin that eliminates spam comments & trackbacks using its enormous amount of features.
Why do you need an anti-spam plugin?
To automate a TASK that takes too much time when you do it MANUALLY.
And to protect your website from countless online threats looming all over the web.
So, these are the 3 best anti-spam WordPress plugins that can be helpful for your WordPress websites. From a newbie blogger to an expert, this list fulfills the requirement of everyone.
Besides, an anti-spam plugin is need of the HOUR to maintain the overall quality of your WordPress website.
That’s all for now. If you’ve used any of these anti-spam WordPress plugins before, then do share your experience with us in the comments section given below.