Are you a fashionista? Do you love to buy and sell clothes?
Then there’s a good chance you’ve heard of Depop and Poshmark, two popular online marketplaces where people can post items for sale. These sites are great for getting rid of your old wardrobe or finding bargains on the latest trends.
But how do they compare?
Are they worth using as a seller or buyers? I’ll explain how each site works in this article and what sets them apart.
The first thing you need to do when you start Depop signs up for an account. To do this, click the orange “Sign Up” button on the homepage or click here.
Depop is a marketplace where people can buy and sell new and pre-owned fashion items. When you create your Depop account, you automatically become a “regular user” (a non-seller). As a regular user, you can browse through listings created by sellers similar to your style and purchase them without hassle!
To become a seller yourself, head to Settings > Activate as Seller to activate your business license. Once activated, all listings will be marked as sold if purchased by another buyer within 48 hours of posting; otherwise, they will remain unsold until purchased by someone else (or if canceled by the seller).
Poshmark is a marketplace for buying and selling fashion. You can buy from the millions of items others listed or sell your clothes.
It’s different from Depop in that you don’t need to create a profile, wait for brand approval, or pay any listing fees—you can start selling! And since it’s not curated like Depop, there are fewer restrictions on what items you can list (though there are still some). The only requirement is that the clothing is clean—no dirty laundry here!
What is Depop?
Depop is a mobile app that allows users to buy, sell and make friends with other people who share their fashion sense.
The app is free to download and use; however, you can pay a fee if you want to become an “Influencer” on the app. As an Influencer, you will get access to exclusive perks such as increased visibility of your posts and the ability to add links to your item descriptions.
As mentioned above, Depop has three main functions: buying items from other users’ listings (selling), posting items for sale yourself (listing), and connecting with other users via messaging or following them as fan accounts (following).
How do you sell on Depop?
- To create a Depop account, sign up at depop.com/sign-up, and you’ll be ready to start uploading photos in no time.
- Once you’ve uploaded your photo(s), you can edit them with filters and other editing tools. The app includes over 40 filters that can be used for free on single images or groups of images!
- Set up your profile by adding information about yourself, such as what city or country you live in and what style of clothes/accessories/etc. sell on Depop.
- When selling something on Depop, there are two options: creating an instant sale or putting it up for auction (similar to eBay). You choose which option best suits the item(s) being sold when listing the item(s). You can also choose whether or not buyers outside of the United Kingdom should be allowed to bid on items listed by UK sellers (or vice versa).
What are the features of Depop?
Depop is a fashion marketplace that allows users to buy and sell clothing, accessories, and art. Depop was founded in 2012 Roo Rogers and Ian Hogarth, who wanted to create an online experience for people passionate about fashion.
Depop has over 40 million users who can easily browse through items other users post. You can search by hashtag or product type you’re looking for, making it easy to find precisely what you want on Depop!
If you’re looking for more than just new clothes, then Depop has your back! They also have a section that shows all the trending products, so if there’s something everyone else seems to be posting about, chances are good that it’ll show up here too!
Users can leave comments or give feedback on listings which helps others make informed decisions when shopping online.
Why use Depop to sell clothes?
Depop is a social marketplace for buying and selling clothes, accessories, and art. Poshmark is more of a traditional eBay-style site where you sell your items for cash. Depop allows you to sell items for free or a small fee (which goes to the seller). Poshmark charges buyers $1 per purchase, but there’s no commission on the sales price.
Depop has over 100 million users in over 200 countries worldwide, making it one of the most popular marketplaces on this list!
How to set up your profile on Depop
Setting up your profile on Depop is pretty straightforward. You’ll start by adding a profile photo.
Then, you can enter a bio, pick a username and location for yourself, and any other interests that may be relevant to you and your brand.
In addition to all that, you’ll need to choose which category best describes the type of items you’ll be selling (for example: “Headwear” or “Art & Design”).
Finally, give yourself some love with an added tagline (you know—something like “I love vintage!”).
What is Poshmark?
Poshmark is a fashion marketplace where you can buy and sell clothes and accessories from thousands of boutiques and brands.
Poshmark is the fastest-growing social commerce app with more than 12 million downloads, over 4 million member stores, and over $1 billion in total value sold.
Poshmark’s vision is to create the world’s most inspiring shopping experience for everyone who loves fashion.
The company was founded on this belief: Shoppers should have confidence that they will find extraordinary items at a fair price, whether they are shopping online or at a brick-and-mortar store.
How do you sell clothes on Poshmark?
- Upload your photos.
- Write a description for each item, including its brand, size, and condition (e.g., “brand new”).
- Set a price for each item. All this information is displayed on the main page of your profile so buyers can see whether or not they’re getting a good deal.
- Choose shipping options and payment methods from those listed in the Poshmark app; you’ll also want to select whether you’d like buyers to pay via PayPal or Venmo by checking off either option under “payment options.”
- If an item has no photos attached to it, you can add one by clicking on the camera icon when editing that listing; otherwise, all listings will automatically show photos taken by Poshmark when someone clicks through on an individual listing page.
What are the features of Poshmark?
Poshmark offers many features that make it stand out from other marketplace apps.
Here are some of the main ones:
- Buyer protection. Poshmark offers buyer protection for every item you buy and sell, up to $500 per purchase. If you don’t receive your item or it arrives damaged, you can open a claim and get your money back.
- Free shipping. You don’t have to pay anything extra when shipping with Poshmark! This is perfect if you want to get rid of some old clothes but don’t want to spend money on postage fees or have them delivered directly home—you can send them back to circulation instead!
- Item returns and refunds. If something doesn’t fit or looks different than advertised, buyers can return an item within 30 days after receiving it for a full refund (less applicable return shipping charges). Sellers also have 30 days from receipt of payment before they’re responsible for refunds on unsold items; this gives both sides time needed before committing financially further down the road should something go wrong during either party’s end later down the line somewhere along the process line.”
How to set up your profile on Poshmark.
You’ll have to set up your profile before selling on Poshmark.
To do this, you’ll:
- Add a profile photo (it can be anything from a selfie to a professional headshot)
- Add a bio that describes who you are and what makes your closet unique.
- Choose whether or not to add your location, email address, and shipping information, so buyers know where to find you if they purchase something. You also can add other information, such as payment methods or shipping time frames, in case someone wants to contact them directly about purchasing an item or getting more details about sending it out.
Do sellers need approval for clothing brands?
You do not need to be approved for clothing brands. You can sell anything you want from any brand. The only restriction is on jewelry, which requires an approval process if it’s branded and made by a certain manufacturer (for example, Gucci).
You can list clothes from any brand or manufacturer, which will be accepted immediately. You can also list clothing from any store that sells clothing (not just department stores) and even items not available in the U.S., like Brazilian brands or cheap Chinese knockoffs of U.S.-based brands!
The bottom line? Depop and Poshmark are great platforms for selling clothes, but they have some subtle differences. Depop’s primary focus is on vintage and second-hand items, while Poshmark caters more to new pieces of clothing.
On the other hand, Poshmark does require approval from brands before you can sell its products, while Depop does not.
Both sites make it easy to set up an account and start selling in just a few minutes—but which one is right for you? We think it depends on what kind of seller you are: if your style fits best with Depop’s vintage vibe or if your favorite brands don’t allow listings elsewhere!